Meet my 2015 scarecrow. Check out her garden boots. I got them at Goodwill for $2.00. I got the hat at Goodwill for $1.00. Scarecrow is propped up on a shelf and taking a break.
I just extended my grape arbor and built a fence just beyond where the scarecrow is perched. There is nothing planted in that far bed yet, but it is a raised bed, and I am adding the dirt now. Winters here in New Jersey are brutal. I know that by the time that spring arrives, I will be exhausted with winter and will not feel like getting outside and adding the dirt soon enough next year.
My soil tends to be rather acidic, but pumpkins and strawberries enjoy a bit of acid. There is no need for me to add lime to this area.
Next summer, I plan to create the Better Homes and Gardens Children’s Garden in this area. On the fence, I’ll grow pole beans [perhaps some Scarlet Runners], and immediately in front of the fence, I’ll grow some Russian Mammoth Sunflowers. In front of the sunflowers, I’ll erect a crude obelisk to grow mini pumpkins and morning glories. At the very front of the bed, I’ll grow strawberries.
My scarecrow is already perched, ready to combat any predators who might be considering harassing my next year’s Children’s Garden.
A closer look of exactly what is planted in the Children’s Garden:
A. Mini Pumpkin Baby Boo [Little white pumpkins]
B. Mini pumpkins Jack Be Little
C. Morning Glories Heavenly Blue
In case you want to make your own scarecrow, here is how I made mine:
The body is an old bed pillow. I pulled a t-shirt over the pillow and stuffed the arms with polyfil. I believe that straw would be better, but I did not have any straw when I made the scarecrow. I stuffed some garden gloves, too, and then I sewed the gloves to the ends of the arms.
I believe that I could have taken an easier route in making the head. In hindsight, an old pillowcase would have been much easier than what I did. After stuffing the pillowcase, you could merely tie a string around the area that will be the neck.
I painted the face, and I sewed on a piece of stuffed, orange fabric for the nose.
I had a bunch of fake straw that was in long strands. It is not raffia, which is paper. This straw seems to be sythetic. For hair, I sewed the synthetic straw to the scarecrow’s scalp. I was not terribly careful about the hair. I knew that the hat would anchor it, once I added that. Until then, I merely stitched the straw in place. I did not use a sewing machine to make the hair. I hand-basted it directly to the head.
I sewed on the hat and added a couple of fancy ribbons to that.
Because I propped my scarecrow up on a shelf and against a garden post, mounting her was simple. I did not need the traditional scarecrow cross of wood. I merely nailed her ned to the fence post and allowed her body to drape to the shelf.
Her legs aren’t even attached to her body. I did weight the boots with a couple of short [about 30″] pieces of 2×4 lumber, and I tacked one boot to the shelf. Otherwise, her legs wanted to roll off the shelf.
This weekend, we have had a tropical storm and high winds, and my scarecrow is still sitting where she is supposed to be.